This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
This article was last edited by BCMatsuyama (talk | contribs) 8 months ago. (Update)
Viceroyalty of Pauwonia
Realm Colony (1627-1689) |
Self-governing Tiperyn Realm Colony (1689-1882)
|Common languages||Tipsprek, Anglic, Quechuan|
|Sir Grahm fan Eyck|
|Cardinal Martin de Vries|
|Sir Hugo fan de Maarten|
|Legislature||Executive Council to the Viceroy|
• Colonial administration
• Viceroyalty Established
|1 January 1689|
• de Vries War
• Second SiWi-Tiperyn War
• Treaty of Heiersted
|9 May 1882|
|1853||867,776 km2 (335,050 sq mi)|
|Today part of||SiWallqanqa, Jinhang, Albaterra|
The Viceroyalty of Pauwonia (Tipsprek: , tr. Fisekeizereklye fan Pauvonye), commonly referred to as The Realm Colonies, was a Tiperyn colony in the Tchiawpi region of the Paracas Coast, in southern Avalonia. It bordered Kaya to the east, Jungastian Albaterra to the north, and Mero-Curgovina Paracas Colony to the west.
History[edit | edit source]
In summer 1627, the tiperyn colonial mission recieved royal assent to commence colonisation of paracas coast and tchiawpi complete tipyeryn domination of the lands of tchiawpi below the tropic of capricorn was achieved by 1690 in 1856 the Tiperyn-Quechuan War (aka the de Vries War) broke out, ending in 1861 with the majority of the mainland Viceroyalty being annexed by the United Kingdom of Willkapampa and Tiwanaku (later SiWallqanqa). caused by some of Viceroy de Vries tax programs (Industry Act 1854, Plantation Stamp Tax, Act of 1855, Coal & Guano Act of 1856) which angered the Quechuans, which led to a revolt in the Quechuan owned Port Aleksander, removing Tiperyn authorities, resulting in a punitive action of shelling the city. In 1881-1882 the Second SiWi War happens, leading to SiWallqanqa gaining control of the Port Hope peninsula and pushing Tiperyn off the mainland.
Government[edit | edit source]
Led by a Viceroy (who was required to be a Captain-General in the Realm Guard) First Viceroy was Sir Hugo fan de Maarten The Viceroy had despotic control over the Viceroyalty, acting at the disgression of the Monarch and the Cabinet of Cardinals. Typically each Viceroy followed a trend of government by an executive cabinet of officers, each with a specific portfolio.
Executive Council to the Viceroy[edit | edit source]
Committee of the Seas[edit | edit source]
Defence[edit | edit source]
Pauwonian Territorial Corps[edit | edit source]
also known as the Native Army Made up primarily of native soldiers, with predominately white officers. Officers and cadets would be educated at the "Realm Colonial Military Seminary", One of its duties was to guard the "Port Hope Powder Mill", at the time one of the largest gunpowder mills in the world. The VA fought in: various colonial wars to gain control, the Arsenic War, 1st Rum Rebellion, 2nd Rum Rebellion, Anouchu's Rebellion, Tiperyn-Quechuan War
Police[edit | edit source]
Policing was primarily done by settler policemen
The Mounted Police, were primarily used to protect travellers, suppress crime and uprising and to patrol areas of hostile native populations. Frontier policing
The Native Police, cost-effective paramilitary support to police, commanded by white officers, used mainly to violently suppress resisting indigenous peoples, and patrol the frontier, as well as provide auxillary assistance to regular police.
Economy[edit | edit source]
The economy of the Viceroyalty was based primarily around the exploitation of the labour and natural resources of the Tchiawpi region.
The coastal and river regions were dominated by plantations of tea and sugar (raw sugar, molasses and rum) in addition to medicinal coca. Further inland were various mines producing a constant stream of silver. Port Hope, and other port towns, provided a base for large scale whaling and sealing missions, producing large amounts of whale meat, blubber, oil and seal pelts. Port Hope itself was home to dozens of whale oil processing facilities.
Guano and Saltpetre[edit | edit source]
Guano was extracted to be used as phosphate fertilizer, creating a huge demand for the highly effective substance. The islands, coastal formations and caves containing the substance were mined rapidly and enthusiastically by the settlers from the late 1830s until the 1890 final handover. Additionally, Tiperyn settlers travelled up the Loa river to mine the saltpetre (phosphates) from the vast deposits of nitratine sands in the incredibly dry Phinq'a desert.
Gunpowder[edit | edit source]
The Port Hope Powder Mill was a large producer of gunpowder for sale and use in the southern hemisphere, acquiring saltpeter from nearby guano, sulfur from local mines and charcoal from various riverrine willow and introduced eucalyptus plantations.
Dye[edit | edit source]
Dye production was focused around the colours red and purple, red being created from cochineal, fetching high prices on return to Artemia. Purple's were produced from various sea snail species, natives to the Paracas Coast.
Pearling[edit | edit source]
Native peoples were often forced into dangerous pearl diving work, for little pay, along the Paracas Coast and Urubamba Bay. Lake Jayp'u was also scoured frequently for pearl oysters, an action that rapidly depleted the oyster beds. The over-exploitation of the oyster beds saw the Viceroyalty pearl economy disappear after only 30 years.
Education[edit | edit source]
The University of Southern Oceanic Sciences, was founded by Tiperyn natural scientists in 1793, to study and further the industrialisation of the whaling industry in Port Hope. It often employed native divers to recover samples and specimens for them, eventually leading to the development of an early pressure-proof diving suit.
The Realm Colonial Seminary College was the primary educational establishment for young gentleman in the Viceroyalty, providing general, vocational and administrative education. As a seminary it also taught its students scripture, theology and religious doctrine.
Culture[edit | edit source]
The legal classes of Pauwonia: The Artemian - white people The Klasse/Class - mixed Artemian-Indigenous people The Lânseigen/Natives - the natives
approx 20-40% of the population along the southern coast was Tiperyn settlers, in the cities that was around 50-70% white
the red triangle flag, associated with Pauwonia, is either the civil or yachting ensign of pauwonia
nationalism of tiperyn settlers in pauwonia, who called themselves pauwonians, was surprisingly high, being one of the few places in the tiperyn realm, where the colonial flag was often more popular than the national flag this saw the rise in popularity of the Red Triangle Flag, a civil ensign of Pauwonia, which was commonly flown from Pauwonian based whaling ships, yachts, riverboats,